Monday, November 14, 2011

Day #12 & 13: No Refined or Processed Carbohydrates

Day 12: Unsuccessful (barely!)
Day 13: Success
Success Rate: 84.6%

Another couple of successful days!!! It is becoming more and more difficult for me. I'm facing cravings, and they are getting more powerful. Usually I'm good at sidestepping cravings, but this is becoming intense. Not even for highly processed carbs, but more for the lightly processed carbs that I am used to eating. Whole wheat tortillas, whole grain bread, even simple rice (brown rice is not always available)

The thing to remember, though, is that it takes ~30 days to create new habits, or to break old ones. I assume that goes along with getting over cravings. That simply means I need to stick it out like a big boy, and run toward success. Yeah baby, I'll do it!!!

Over the past couple of days, I ate relatively simple foods. Fried eggs with all natural pesto and homemade hash browns for breakfast (FYI, Yukon Gold's are the best potatoes for hash browns). Yesterday, I had Thai food with a friend for lunch - chicken Masaman, with brown rice. So so so good (I also had Chicken Sa-teh, and Tom Ka with Tofu...god I love Thai food).

Dinner last night...and the night before, was where I shined! But I just realized (as I am writing this) that I actually had an accidental, tiny, slip-up.

2 nights ago (day 12), I made grilled chicken with grilled Carrots. The chicken was awesome, I used the following marinade:

  • 1/4 c. Dijon Mustard
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1.5 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried Tarragon
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • Chicken breasts
Mix it all together, and let it marinade for 15 minutes. Grill. Done

The carrots I made were simple.
  1. Peel Carrots
  2. Toss with a bit of oil (not olive oil - use Canola, Vegetable, safflower, peanut, whatever, but not olive oil)
  3. While those are grilling over medium high heat, mix together ~1 Tablespoon of butter (melted) with a Tablespoon or two of balsamic vinegar, a dash of mustard (to help it emulsify), and dried thyme (maybe 1/2 teaspoon?)
  4. When you first flip the carrots (do it when they have grill marks) brush on the butter - careful, it will flare up. 
  5. Keep grilling until properly charred, and tender.
Looks awesome, right? Well, it was freaking awesome! The thing I just now realized is that Lea and Perrin's Worcestershire sauce has a bit of sugar. So I lost that day. It's a shame.

Yesterday night, I also had the carrots again - they were so good, I had to try them again, and I also grilled some Yukon gold potatoes, with the same process. Oil, grill, brush on butter, grill until crisp and cooked through. 

Doesn't that look just amazing? It's really easy, too, and that was a very very filling meal. Vegetarian to boot, and good for the soul.

I keep moving forward, and as I type this, I'm on my way out to Vegas for my second major week of challenges. I'm not looking forward to dealing with these cravings while working in the city of temptation (I know it's the city of sin, but that doesn't work as well as "city of temptation", and I think it's still accurate, so...)

For those of you who have taken on 30 day challenges of your own, please let me know about it! And keep chugging along!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment