Saturday, November 12, 2011

Day #11: No Refined or Processed Carbohydrates

First of all - sorry for taking so long to get another post up!!! I've been crazy busy at work - literally working from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. Part of that is due to the time zone issues - it always feels like it's midnight.

Day 7: Success
Day 8: Success
Day 9: Success
Day 10: Success
Day 11: Success
Success rate: 90.9%

As some may know, I started my work out in Las Vegas this week. It was...tough...to say the least. For the most part, it wasn't too bad - I was able to work around just about anything Vegas threw at me. We get to eat some of our meals at the Employee Dining Rooms (EDR, for short) which has, typically, a salad bar, fruit, breakfast items, and then hot food items.

Eating in the EDR's is easy - for breakfast, I have been getting a little bit of egg, some oatmeal, and a few pieces of fruit. The nice thing is, I can take a banana or two up to my office, and I have a mid morning snack.

Lunch has been in the EDR's, and it has consisted of salad, more fruit, and maybe a little bit of the hot food, if I'm confident that there is no added sugar to any marinades or spice rubs. Water to drink most of the time. Not too shabby.

The one problem I ran into was: the Las Vegas Buffet's.

The first night we were there - we swung by a Sushi buffet for dinner. Holy cow - all you can eat Sashimi, crab, shrimp, seaweed salad, bacon wrapped asparagus, and other stuff. So so so delicious. I really loved the buffet, but I didn't love it so much at 2am. I woke up at about 2am with a burning ball of lead in my stomach. I'm not sure whether it was bad fish, or if I accidentally ate broccoli somewhere. I had a mushroom salad that looked like it had asparagus in it, but now I think it may have had broccoli sliced up in there. I'm allergic (really food intolerant) to broccoli, and I end up in lots of pain if I eat even a little bit.

Later, we decided to get a 24-hour pass to buffet's - it gets us access to any buffet owned by a Caesars Entertainment company - it was $44. We ate at the Spice Market Buffet at Planet Hollywood for dinner...it was okay, nothing to write home about, and some of the food was down right nasty. For breakfast, we ate at the Paris buffet, and it was AWESOME. I had an omelet, sausage, smoked salmon, potatoes, fruit, and mmm, mmm, was it good!

Lunch time came around, and it was time to check out the Caesars buffet. The food was tasty - I had more smoked salmon, some cheese, roast pork, and fruit and vegetables. Easy enough. But then, I was faced with my biggest challenge so far. We were seated right next to the dessert buffet area. It was a major challenge for me, and I'm not HUGE on desserts, but this was a challenge.


You can see how that would be a challenge for me, or for anyone.

Other than that, it hasn't been too bad. Mostly the EDR's - and I told you how I handled that already. The rest, I had a great dinner at the Strip House - a steak house. Started with beef jerky - homemade, then a crisp organic chicken for entree, with crisp goose fat potatoes. So delicious.

Yesterday was straightforward, many potatoes and eggs. Not a whole heck of a lot to say there.

I will say, that there is some worry from a family member that my current challenge will be an issue during Thanksgiving, since it will require a different menu, as carbohydrates are such a major part of the menu. Once we discussed it, however, we realized that it won't be so bad. I can still eat:

  • Turkey
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Asparagus
  • Salad
The things I can't eat: Crescent Rolls, gravy, cranberry chutney, jello salad, are all things that I don't typically eat (well, except for the cranberry chutney - it's so much tastier than cranberry sauce, and much better for you probably).

When all is said and done, it's not too bad for me, and the menu doesn't really need to change. I'll need to work on figuring out a dessert I can make that I can eat - something fruit based of course - but I'll figure that out without a problem.

The last thing I'm considering, is putting together a tray of "raw" bars, to have for food while in Vegas. They are healthy, and completely raw (something your body really likes). You can see recipes here and here.

I'll let you know if I try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment