Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day #5 & 6: No Refined or Processed Carbohydrates

Day 5: Success
Day 6: Success
Success Rate: 83.33%

I know, I know, I missed day 5. So sue me. I was busy with...not doing a whole lot, just relaxing.

Anyway, I had a great weekend - on Saturday, I went with eggs and hashbrowns (homemade - I cut up the potatoes from scratch) and sauteed with onion and olive oil. Lunch was...well, I missed Lunch to be honest. For dinner, I made a fantastic fruit smoothie, with banana, frozen berries, some milk, and some cacao nibs (raw chocolate beans) mmm, mmm, was it delicious. A Late dinner was at a place called Frankies - a sports bar. I got some chili, as I hung out with a buddy while we watched the games. He also realized something great for me - I can drink wine! No beer, no liquor, but wine is okay, because it is made from grapes, not from grains. I'm calling it okay, mainly because red wine (I'm only going to drink red) has much of the "goodness" of grape juice in it.

Today, I was hanging out with some friends (they slept at my place last night) and they slept much later than I. I woke up, as usual, at 6am...although I did go back to sleep until 8:30am. I still was up before them, and I made some more homemade hash browns. I know, more potatoes, big whoop. There is calcium in the skins (you do eat the skins, right?)

For lunch, we hit up a place called Mooyah, which is a burger place. I ended up grabbing a burger, but it was an "ICEBurger" which means they used iceberg lettuce instead of a bun. Couple that with lots of veggies, mustard, etc. and it was a pretty great burger! The fries were also pretty great...we split a large.

Dinner time was special - it was like practice for thanksgiving dinner. Roast turkey, sweet potato (whole, not mashed with marshmallows)  zucchini (fresh organic of course) and rolls (which I skipped)

I also had to skip the gravy, unfortunately. It is made with flour (or sometimes with cornstarch) and it can't be eaten by me.

All in all, it was a good day, with good friends, and a great bottle of pinot noir to finish it.

I'm now off to Vegas to kick off a new project. It should prove to be difficult, but I can certainly do it. I'm not finding that I'm desiring the processed carbs, but it is just a challenge to avoid them! Food manufacturers like to put then in everything because they are cheap, and they even make you MORE hungry, like a crack dealer who gives you "just a little" crack for free (but more on that later...the carbohydrate thing, not the crack thing)

No comments:

Post a Comment