Monday, October 15, 2012

Why Bother Being Born?

We all tend to focus so much on the present - and that is important.
But it is also important to look to the end, to examine your entire life, including the part that has not happened yet, and think about what you want to have done.

Some people will say they'd like to have raised successful, well-adjusted children
Some will want to have made Millions
Some will want to have helped to elminate poverty
Some will simply want to have survived (not a recommended end of life goal)


Living does not Mean Surviving
Surviving: Not being dead
Living: Experiencing the magic that life has to offer

In the end, will you look back on a fulfilled life, or will you mourn the life you never had.


I've had the thought that we can "finish" our lives at some point for a while now. It always nagged in the back of my mind, but it really came to the forefront of my mind when I watched a documentary by Spike Jonze. It was a portrait of Maurice Sendak (known most famously for authoring Where the Wild Things Are)

Sendak's most famous work
The Documentary
The documentary, Tell them Anything You Want: A Portrait of Maurice Sendak is a wonderful film, full of insight and wonder. I highly recommend the DVD. It used to be available on Hulu, but it appears it was pulled down. I'll let you know if it goes back up. 

While the entire film is fantastic, there is one particular segment which I have gone back to many times to draw inspiration. The title is "Sendak on Death (And Life)" on YouTube. I have to say that this is a man who has experienced so much pain in his life (he died on May 8, 2012 - if you were unaware), and yet he has found happiness. His work was his true happiness.

This segment asks the noted author: Why Bother Being Born? And what follows is a truly introspective journey which we can all benefit from. It is a mere 5 minutes long, so sit back, ignore the world for a bit, and watch.

Motivation You can Draw from Maurice Sendak
I like to watch this video every time I find myself seeking some inspiration. It is a very moving video that drives me to pursue what makes me happy. I have watched it (and listened to it) many many times, and I'm sure I will do so again and again. 

Disclaimer #1: I do find that you need to be in the right mood for the video. You should be in an introspective mood.
Disclaimer #2: It will be better if you first watch the full Documentary...but it is great even without knowing the full context

If you'd like to watch the full documentary first, then you can find it at Amazon, or you can view it illegally on the Internet, but I can't make a recommendation on a site (I truly don't have one for you, or I'd share)



So consider what your life should be.
Ask Yourself: Why Bother Being Born?
When you are this man's age, will you be proud of a life well spent. Will you be done with your life? Or will you mourn never having lived a life in the first place?


1 comment:

  1. Love this documentary. I remember watching it with you - first time for me, second for you. This is a really good exerpt.

    ReplyDelete