Saturday, September 22, 2012

Welcome to the New PADOREC

I changed the name of my blog.

It used to be "Life in 30 days" which I LOVED as a name. I had business cards made up (okay, I printed them myself) with the name of the blog, the link, and a QR code (those are those crazy squares that you can scan with your phone that about 14 people have ever scanned)

So why in the world did I change the name of the blog??? It was such a beautiful name, such an elegant concept. Here's why I did it: It was super super focused. It was a blog about one thing, and one thing only, and that's 30 day challenges for self-improvement and general merriment. It's a fantastic motivational tool but as a blog, it can get old quickly.

And here's the kicker: if I were to write about another motivational tip, or a great recipe, or a cool book I read, then it would not fit the theme of the blog. That does not make for good reading, and it gets confusing. So here's the deal - I have not reached monumental blog status yet where a name change is a major issue.

A blog about photography: Great
A blog about photography of the Pacific Northwest in the Winter: Gets old fast

"But Paul, it's good to hit a niche"
I agree - niches are good, but a super niche is not always the right thing for blogs. (Yes, I just invented the term super niche...that's what Shakespeare and I have in common...we both invented words) And here's the issue with a single Niche - my interests are not a single niche, and NEITHER ARE YOURS! I like to read about motivation, I like to read about science, I like to build things, I cook, I brew beer, I start businesses, I do a whole lot of things. Ever heard of the Singularity? Well if I kept this as a 30-day concept, then you never would!!! What knowledge would be missed.


"Okay, I get it, the 30-day concept is dead"
Not at all. I will still do 30-day experiments, and you will still hear about them, but it won't be the singular focus of this blog.

"Okay, so then what the hell will you write about?"
Well, I can write about anything. This blog doesn't have an incredibly concentrated theme. I will find A theme, but I am not going into this blog looking for a single theme which I will write about. I'm going to feel around for a while, and see what comes out of it.

By opening up the reach of this blog, I'm going to allow myself the freedom to write more often. I know, this isn't supposed to be all about me, it's about you. But until I find stuff I like to write about, I can't deliver any valuable blog posts to you.

The reason for the name? Well, I was impacted by Steve Pavlina in his post "Branding is Fear Based B.S."

"Note that I write at StevePavlina.com, not FakePersonalGrowthBrand.com. My company name is Pavlina, and I really don’t care what that means to anyone. "

PADOREC is my brand. It's a unique name, and it is me. I won't tell you why - you can figure out the puzzle.

So there you have it. There is a new game in town, and it's called PADOREC. Lifein30days.com will point to this blog for a while, but eventually it will disappear. 

Look forward to great new content, and awesome, superfantastic, helpful tips on motivation, personal development, new science, and puppets.

Paul

P.S. I probably won't write about puppets, but I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment