Friday, December 7, 2012

I made a mistake: The AeroPress Coffee Maker Rules!

I made a major mistake on March 3, 2010. I said the following words:
"...the AeroPress looked cheap, and based on reviews is nothing too special..."
Where did I say this, and how do I know the exact date on which I said it? Easy - I said it on my old blog Dorm Room Business and I know the exact date because Blogger is kind enough to put the date on the posts I put out there.

Dorm Room Business has since been pulled into this blog (meaning all of the old posts were migrated over)
The post on which I said this was: Travel Espresso Maker

Why did I say such hurtful things? Well, they weren't entirely untrue. I was looking for an espresso maker, and the prevailing reviews at the time claimed that the AeroPress doesn't make espresso. They said the Aeropress makes "really strong coffee".

Okay, so it didn't make espresso - it turns out I don't need an espresso shot or 7 every single day. Sometimes a nice cup of Joe is what I need.

Here's why I have purchase the AeroPress, and the MyPressi and Handpresso still sit on Amazon's shelves, pining for me to order them.
  • The AeroPress can use any coffee at all - the others require pods
  • The AeroPress travels very well
  • The AeroPress is easy to use
  • The AeroPress is ready to drink in about 3 minutes
Now, the MyPressi and HandPresso make great cups of coffee, I'm sure, but the AeroPress is the winner. 

A quote from one of the certified barista's at Kaldi's Coffee in St. Louis (they make some of the best coffee I've ever had)
"I prefer the AeroPress because it is ready in a minute flat, and it makes a coffee/espresso mix. If you want a normal cup of coffee, you just add some hot water, otherwise it's really intense, which sometimes, you really want"
That has been my experience as well. It doesn't make espresso. It makes a coffee concentrate. I have never watered it down, but I'm sure you can.

I cannot say enough nice things about this device. Seriously, if you like coffee, buy one today. You can travel with it, and have really wonderful coffee all day long.


Lastly, if you want a demo on how to use this thing, you have 2 options. Tim Ferris covers this in The 4-hour Chef, under the section titled (rightfully so) "In Search of the Perfect Cup of Coffee"

If you don't want to buy his book (it's a great read...you might as well shell out the cash) then here is a video by one of my subscriptions on YouTube: coffeenate1. It's a bit dry, but he explains very well how to make a proper cup of coffee in the AeroPress. Again, he is not flashy, and is not all that exciting, but dammit  he gives you good information!



Go put one on your Amazon WishList now!

No comments:

Post a Comment